Friday, September 03, 2004

Between a mountain and a WalMart

Ladies and gents. . .

Since I've come to Provo, I have developed what I call "city slacker slump"ness. . . I've realized that I feel less motivated, less progressive, less outgoing in these strip-mall-plaza-to-plaza towns. I sit and stare at the mountains, but don't have time to truly enjoy them. So many people are buzzing about that it doesn't make sense to talk to any of them because your chance of seeing them again (and actually remembering them) is slight.

However, I have found a way to combat this recent illness. Reverse slump by boycotting city malls and stores (actually, I just have NO money-- I left my wallet in ID and so I've been struggling recently). No, really, I actually have had a nice talk with myself and I understand now that transitions always kind of stink and just "let is pass" (thanks em, for reminding me). My roommate is cool-- she's 18, but I swear she's 26. Her name is Megan and she is a pro-skiier and pretty crazy. The other one is Aubrey and she's Sven's sister. She's 23 and a return missionary.
I really like being at school with my sisters. And despite everyone's misgivings. . . Jo and I are still healthy and alive-- even though we aren't at the same place! SHOCK! I feel lucky to have Fern and Randy both down here. . . it really does make a difference having friends who already know you!!

Last weekend I got to go to Idaho to retrieve my things, and while I was there I got to go to Wyoming with Jo, Sven and Co. It was really fun! We went to Grand Teton National Park and hiked to these secret hot springs in the middle of the forrest. It was amazing! Then we went to a local Bluegrass festival in Jackson Hole. Fun times. Since I said I would keep you posted, Sven and I are still friends and that is all. . .and it's very good like that!

Okay, and now for my BIG NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GOT INTO THE NEW ZEALAND STUDY ABROAD PROGRAM! (I think). I went in for my interview today and I was nervous as heck. I knew there were only 6 spots left and he had 20 peope waiting to hear if they were in. My interview went super and he basically told me that I could relax and that he wanted someone like me on this trip. WOO HOO! It is perfect for my major. It fulfills my last requirements as an RMYL major and then I am planning on going to spring term to finish my minor and then I'm DONE! (except for my internship which I'm planning for the following fall). Here are the details of the program:

-- live with a native Kiwi family (they cook native foods for us as well)
-- we live in a small town at the southern tip of the south island-- this means no tourism, no big city, just a real cultural experience.
-- a bike tour of the island for a week
--bush treking, surfing, wind surfing, kayaking, rock climbing classes!
-- service learning (helping facilitate youth rec programs in the local area).

I have done tons of research on this and it will cost in total $6,500. It sounds steap, but if I were to go with say NOLS (national outdoor leadership school), it would cost me $12,000 for only 30 days and I'm going for 4 months!

Well, that's pretty much it for me. The sun just came out and I am VERY happy right now. I love you all so much! RY: I heard you and your family are stopping through the "VO" (provo that is). True?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great update, Ang. And don't worry - it will get better. Very cool about the New Zealand program. I've heard of that study abroad and it sounds neat. Let us know when you are officially in and we'll send a huge congrats your way! Thanks for keeping in touch. Love you - Emily

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home