Saturday, July 21, 2007

my 15 minutes of fame.


This is me enjoying the sunshine. . . a rarity on the summit.

Another day "on the job" for Brian. . . he's hiking with a few people from our ward in this photo. Taken about 1 mile from the Canadian boarder.

Alaskan wild Iris blooming in Dyea. It litterally covers the feilds!

Un beso.

So, last week was natural disaster week. It flooded on the chilkoot-- the glacier meltoff combined with the 6 inches of rain caused high mountain streams to dump on the trail. People were wading up to their chest in freezing water. We ended up having to close the trail (this is nearly unheard of) for 24 hours. I ended up being interviewed by the radio (and there is only one station for all of Haines and Skagway and everyone listens to it). I was one of the "special radio guests" where they ask you a question and your recorded voice answers. They ended up broadcasting it all over Alaska. I'm pretty much a local Alaskan celebrity now. That was a joke, BTW. I came up with an ingenius plan to spend more time on the trail with Brian last week and my boss ended up okaying it. So I spent Wed- Sat last week and my legs are feeling it today. Not to mention I haven't taken a shower since Tuesday and I just went to the store. You can get away with a lot up here. I think I'm in for culture shock.

4 Comments:

Blogger Fern said...

Sorry I couldn't get to the phone. Busy times at the Thompson house (or shack), but I promise to call when I get some time.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

what a life....i miss it. i want to change my major to park ranger now!! are you coming??i hope so....

11:19 AM  
Blogger M.climb said...

I am so psyched that you are enjoying the land of the north. I think that you made the right decision.

4:40 PM  
Blogger ahays said...

This is amazing. Someone who communicates better than my son, who is living my son's life. I can now get the real scoop.

9:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home