Thursday, June 28, 2007

my first paid vacation.

I could get used to this. This past week I got to hike the Chilkoot trail for four days. It was amazing!! I actually got paid to go backpacking and take a train back to Skagway through the White Pass canyon. It was BEAUTIFUL. Honestly, I often feel like a painted character in a children's storybook. . .things are so picturesque here and I never get used to it! Hiking the trail was particularly fun b/c I got to hike with Brian for the whole US side (before we cross into British Columbia). We (Janae and I) stayed at his cabin. It has the most amazing view-- not to mention that the outhouse only has a screen so you can check out the beautiful view there too! We made bread, soup and brownies, played guitar and sang, read Conference talks and talked. I stayed in the loft of the cabin with overlooks the river. I just needed a pile of hay and a quilt and I swear I could have been Heidi. It was fantastic!

The next day we hiked over the "golden staircase" (it felt like hiking a snowy ladder it was so steep) and into Canada. Brian had the key to the Ranger station up there, so we made lunch, dried off and warmed ourselves up (at this point we were in the clouds and on the snow), and took a nap on the floor. Unfortunately, I melted my shoes which proved quite uncomfortable the rest of the way. When we continued on, I felt like I was hiking in Antarctica. . . it was completely white in all directions (not to mention the thick cloud of white all around us). The only thing leading us in the right direction were the red markers spaced 10 feet apart. In an hour we broke through the clouds and into the sun. The snow at this point was melting and Crevasses were opening up. It was a beautiful brilliant blue color. Huge chunks of snow had broken off and were floating next to the river. In a few more miles we were out of the snow and back to rocky tundra. . .which later turned into beautiful forests with wildflowers.

Since then, I have been working and playing mostly. Brian hiked out yesterday to finish his shift, so I think we are going to take the ferry to Juneau or to the Arctic Circle (and watch the sun never set).

2 Comments:

Blogger Mary Grace said...

man angela! i love that, alaska has all the seasons in one hike. chilkoot pass. you will have to take me there one day. well, enjoy. i hear to hot and sweaty st george in a few weeks. right now i am wishing that was alaska instead. do i say that enough? :) miss you

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ang face!
This is Sarah and Lindsey...we are at Sarah's house. YOu have such an adventurous life! Your hike sounded gorgeous! Man! We are calling you right NOW!....We love you!

8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home