Monday, April 09, 2007

What defines a leader? Power or character?

BYU has invited Dick Chenney as this years commencement speaker. I thought this University supported pacifists-- or at least those with family values who don't use the F-word. NPR somehow got wind of the upheaval around here and commented, "if BYU, the most conservative school in the nation, doesn't even want Chenney then who in America does?" My question exactly.

I can't wait for school to end so that I can start learning. What's on the summer reading list so far:

Tale of two Cities
Biography of Abe Linchon
Harry Potter 7

3 Comments:

Blogger Randy Row said...

V.P. of the united states= leader.

9:47 AM  
Blogger j:) said...

wow angela. If I kept up with politics better I might have something neat to say, but since I haven't, here goes nothing: I thougth they always chose a church member to speak. Like an apostle or a member of the 70?
I wonder what would happen if he does swear?
Also, I feel bad that you don't feel like you're learning in school. Maybe you should change your major to "reading"? Or maybe you need to just come back to Idaho ;) I hope we get to hang out a lot this summer...like more than we do during the school year! I miss your influence in my life.

10:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela:
Of course NPR would say this about Dick Cheney, they are notorious left-winged liberals and will say anything to defy the current president and his administration. Also, the protest included only 200 students which hardly qualifies as an overwhelming majority, let alone the collective voice of BYU. I just take the NPR opinion with a grain a salt. I don't exactly agree with Cheney on all issues but having the vice president at the commencement is an honor, in my opinion. Sorry about the long comment.

Tyler

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home