Wednesday, October 06, 2004

All Roads Lead to Idaho

On the first weekend of October, the entire Mormon west heads south, north, east or west in search of the SLC General Conference Center. I on the other hand, headed up the asphalt trail in search of Carrie Cobb and the rest of the crew in Rexburg. Fern and Tyler decided last minute that they too wanted to migrate north for the weekend, and so I jumped on their band-wagon (I think Fern and I were yapping like a bunch of new pups, discussing everything from politics to broccoli, but Tyler, bless his heart, was such a good sport). We arrived late on Friday due to traffic and because I had to set up for our ward campfire dinner.

I spent that night at Carrie JO-mama's and woke up the next morning. We went running with her increadibly ripped (muscular) roommate through the dry farms above Rexburg. Then, we decided to go rock climbing about twenty minutes away. Fern had surgery on her foot, but came anyway (bless her heart). It was a blast. It was the highest climb I've ever done and very exciting!! Thanks to Jo and her stellar gear-getting abilities!

Then, we built a fire and roasted apple crisp, tin foil dinners and corn (all of the food came from the garden). I paid homage to our traditional fall campout-- and I was thrown back several times at the beautiful leaves changing color and the perfect temperatures. It was great to be there and I was reminded of how much I enjoy the simplicity of Idaho. Life doesn't seem to get jumbled up by material woes or concern for anything but the here and now. It's almost like the rest of the world doesn't exist. No fashion. No government. Nothing but the outdoors and sometimes the indoors. I love it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home