Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Sitting with Siddhartha

I was on my way to enlightenment this morning when I came across some big-horned sheep. I have been reading about South Asian religions lately and I feel like I am always walking with a ascetic monk, his old hand on my elbow, making me more aware of the world around me.

I feel nervous right now-- I am afraid that the fall weather will end any day now and I would have missed it. I wouldn't have really enjoyed it. To avoid this, after class this morning I rode my bike on the Bonneville shoreline trail a bit and then through Rock Canyon. The lighting was spectacular and the wind blew the leaves around in circles. I stopped biking because I noticed the big-horned sheep and wanted a closer look so I scrambled to the top of some rocks. It was a great view and I spent several minutes watching them. Then, I rode home. Everything feels fleeting-- like I'm living in moments and not full days.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello angela...the fact that you complain all the time about no one leaving you comments for some reason makes me not want to leave a comment. (don't ask me why...I know its really weird) But I will fight my carnal nature and tell you what I think anyways. You're very artsy fartsy and creative with your writing. And I mean that in a good way. Anyways, I can't find a date for this weekend and last I talked to you, you coulnd't either...will you be my date? Just kidding. I was going to ask that Jake guy but him and heather hit it off really well and I think it would be cool if they dated. It would kind of mess things up if I asked him out. so anyways I guess this is your blogspot and not an e-mail I'm sending you so I should go. -jo

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[This is Sarah] Hey Ang! I read your site, too, and I agree with Carrie that your writing is fun to read. The picture of you rock climbing makes me feel dizzy. Sounds to me like you are really enjoying fall, and since you are going to New Zealand, you won't have to worry about winter, eh? It probably won't snow in Utah valley until the end of November or December, so you're set. No sloshing through grayblack snow this year. I took a World Religions class at BYU and read a lot about Eastern religion for the class. Other than that, I haven't had much exposure. I thought it was interesting to note the truth in all religions. For example, if I recall correctly, Buddhists believe that we all have an "atman" or something like that, within our bodies, and which gives us life. Or maybe it was Hinduism. Glad you're well! Love you! Sarah

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ang - Emily here. I read your site as well, so keep posting. I also read Ryan's site and noticed that you are now going to LA for Thanksgiving... When did that all happen? I guess that means we won't be seeing you for a while... Hope all is well - Emily

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home