Sunday, August 13, 2006

Pirate Marie Yellow Salmon

Yesterday I went sailing in a wooden ship on a sea of green, with pirate Dewey Blue Whale and Florence Purple Jellyfish. I went all the way to Mars in a space shuttle powered by one double A battery shoved between two large cushions to rescue kidnapped parents, made a batch of ineddible green spaghetti and I discussed burried treasure while savoring root-beer floats. That's right. . . I was babysitting. I learned all about how to pick pirate names (which is your middle name, favorite color and favorite fish), I remembered how it felt to have a very short attention span and also just how heavy an imaginary person can be.

Tonight it hit me just how great it is to have friends. And not just any friends, but those kinds of friends who know what you're going to do even before you do it-- even when maybe you don't. The kind of friends who talked to you before you ever held more than $30 in your hand at once, before you could "spend the night" without parental guidance and the kind of friends that you imagined this stage of life with, long before it ever came along. . . and they still manage to stay friends even when it didn't turn out at all like you had planned.

7 Comments:

Blogger Randy Row said...

That's a good way to determine your pirate name. Especially if your name is Robert Blackbeard Smith.

4:32 AM  
Blogger William Cobb said...

you seriously had me convinced that you went tripping on acid. are you sure you were babysitting?

1:57 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

It doesn't surprise me that the only time you check my blog is out of necessity. Nice to finally see you said "hi"

What the heck? Not as though I was stranded on the road and I needed the # for AAA that is only found on your blog, so I hitch hiked to an internet cafe to retrieve it. I just don't want to dominate the comments section.

5:16 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

i like friends like that too. haha you make me laugh. and nostalgic...but then you always have. keep postin angela- i miss you. i think one day i may see you again...

11:35 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

Hey there! I'm not indignant, I swear! These comments never get the right thing across... do you have an email address?

5:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool post, Ang! I loved your description of babysitting. My 3-yr old Jake has recently discovered the world of imagination. He listens to my heart and puts multiple band-aids on invisible cuts, then takes pictures of me with his camera before signing out to become a policeman handing me yet another speeding ticket. Oh, and his imaginary friend Kacki is usually blamed for all mishaps!

Signed,

NMN Green Sea Turtle, in search of buried lore

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That makes me want to BABYSIT!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home