Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Very Hatch Vacation

Vacation-- a period of suspension of work, study, or other activity, usually used for rest, recreation, or travel/ freedom or release from duty, business, or activity.

Ahh, yes. The joys of suspending responsibility for a full week. I cannot, however, say that our vacation was exactly 'suspension/freedom from activity.' There are always a few things that we do as a family that tag our vacations as being extremely "HATCH." A lot of activity/movement (from swimming to dance parties with the whole family), a lot of food (mom said we spent more in one week on food than the entire month of July), and a lot of noise (talking, laughing, screaming, singing).

Monday on our way down it was pouring down rain and thundering so it took longer than usual to get there (Ocean isle beach-- on the Outter Banks of NC) That night we all ran over to the beach to say "hello" as we did improvised dance moves on the sand and breathed in the salty fresh air. I remember when I was like nine-years-old, Sarah telling me that air was fresher than any other air you could breathe because it traveled 5,000 miles over the ocean to get there. Not exactly true, but I like it anyway :)

The following day we swam against the current and crashing waves. We got this great idea to take our goggles and swim caps and walk to the pier (which is 1.2 miles from our beach house) and then swim back. I must have swallowed a gallon of salt water. It was a little more awkward than I thought to try and swim while the waves were pulling us into shore and crashing in our mouths as we tried to breathe, but it went faster than I thought.

One morning I got up early and asked my dad to take me down to the sound (where the freshwater meets the ocean around the tip of the island) and I took the inflatable kayak out for a bit. It was so beautiful! The sun glistening on the water and a few white cranes in the green rushes swaying back and forth from the waves! I felt like I was on one of those cheesy movies like "A Walk to Remember"-- then we came back and made blueberry pancakes before the rest of the family got up. Okay, so I'm ending this post before I bore you all. I could go on forever.

1 Comments:

Blogger Randy Row said...

That's awesome! I would post my vacation stuff on my blog, but I'd just get one-upped!

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home