Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A post from the pulpit

I was reading a talk by Elder Scott this morning. I've been thinking a lot lately about priorities and what it is exactly that the Lord expects our priorities to be at our age (in our 20s). Not wanting to be "a 20 something Peter-Pan stuck in an adolecent Never-Never Land and postponing adult responsibility, " (Oaks' talk 2005) I figured I'd look around for a bit of guidance. Not reaching really any conclusion, I figured I'd share a bit of whatever I found (feel free to do the same with me), assuming that it could help you guys too. . . I was talking to Jo the other day and mentioned this quote by Elder Scott that says, "the adversary would have good people fill life with "good things" so there is no room for the essential ones. " He then asks, "Have you unconsciously been caught in that trap?" I feel like this is IT for people our age. We fill our time with things that really are good. . . but we tend to crowd out the essentials.

I remember Scott Wood telling me once that our religion is what we think about most. Loosly put, our passion is our religion. . . but is our religion our passion? I've never forgotten that. I remember thinking, "so that means that Scott must think more about gospel principles than about the moutains, climbing, biking and the outdoors!" And then it hit me. . .I hardly EVER pondered gospel subjects. I hardly ever searched for missionary opportunities or craved reading my scriptures and serving others like I did searching National Geographic Adventure for new adventure ideas and planning what I was going to do that weekend.

Before the mission, my passion lied in conquering new physical heights. . .what I could discover in this beautiful world we live in and adding new places to my "where I've been and what I've seen" lists (granted it wasn't that big). During the mission, my passion lied in conquering new spiritual heights and in discovering a whole new world of beauty in the ugliest place I've ever been, and adding to my "people we're teaching, where we've knocked and what we need to do" lists. Now that I'm back, I feel so confused as to what I'm supposed to do. What are my priorities? What should I be doing? What is good and what is essential?

signed: lost in transition. . .again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Randy Row said...

"20 something Peter-Pan stuck in an adolecent Never-Never Land and postponing adult responsibility" Ouch!

1:51 PM  
Blogger William Cobb said...

the struggle is common. it's like being an adolescent again, only this time without having to deal with first-time puberty.

i reccomend prozac and alcohol. the combination of the two have been proven to cause serious side-effects which may take your mind off of all these important life decisions. then you can finally fly away into neverland, where there really IS pirates and mermaids just waiting to play with you.

in actuality, the best advice i can give you is the same from Larry D. Olsen, co-founder of Anasazi, "sleep on it." maybe tomorrow will provide an answer. don't ponder too hard cuz the term "essential" and "good" are both relative to your own world. right now school is good, but after graduation it may be essential to get a job. rock climbing is almost essential to my sanity, but is only good for my health.

anyways, ttyl,
brian
p.s. sería diversión a hablar, apenas para la diversión. mi numbre: b0t.ja0.wyun

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps only when our passion lies in true religion will we be able to distinguish the good from the essential in our own personal lives?

9:24 PM  
Blogger j:) said...

Hi angela

11:19 AM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

I think you could post about anything anonymously and it would be CREEPY.

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there. I could become an essential thing in your life.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

Yes, thank you, Anonymous, for the creepy demonstration.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

Angela. that is the VERY thing i have been thinking about this entire week. that is whast creepy. you took the thoughts out of my head. is that what made you decide to go on a mission? ummmm yeah i jsut read thats and thought maybe you stole it from my thoughts...by the way, when will i ever talk to you for reals?

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really a great post, Ang. It's hard because we can't just sit in our rooms and read our scriptures all day...or teach every person we meet what we read in our scriptures that day. I think it all boils down charity, ultimate service for the good of others to glorify God.

I know that I easily get caught up in the hike, hike, hike mode (esp. since I moved here to hike-land), but I've realized that I'm the most happy when I'm getting outside of MYSELF, not just "outside." That's why the mission brings so much joy. We're thinking of the gospel and of others ALL day.

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home