Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Akita Manaeo

is a Lakota phrase meaning, "I am aware of my surroundings as I walk." I want to posses this quality. To live aware of the things around me and take pleasure in them, to grasp the joys instead of fleeting pain or repetitive thoughts. This evening at 5:30 I felt the urge for moving, so I decided which course was right for the day and I started off. The air was somewhere between warm and chilly and the sky was threatening the pale pinks and blues with darker shades of grey. . . but it was gently approaching. I was gliding tonight, instead of fighting the pavement with every hit of my shoe. I enjoyed the sky and how quickly it changed from the bottom of the hill to the top. I noticed the people I ran past and looked them directly in the eyes when I felt like it. I enjoyed the feeling of sweat and the absense of litter and cracked asphalt. When a song came on that I wanted to dance to, I danced. I didn't want to get into the car and drive home, but the thought of mom's lentil soup and fresh salad lured me back.

I was curious to see where I was exactly one year ago. This day last year, Jo and I were jumping snowmobiles with Andy and John through the farms of rexburg and drinking hot cocoa. We woke up 6 hours later and learned to roll kayaks with Blaine. Then I saw Rylee (Rach's baby) for the first time. Exactly two years ago today I was rock-climbing at Sticks and Stones with Jo and then watching a movie with Rick.

Tonight I went out with Emmanuel. He does so many things that surprise me-- things that I wouldn't expect him to notice or feel or think. I am guilty of sterotype.

4 Comments:

Blogger j:) said...

wow angela. Your post made me really want to love life. You're an awesome writer and I liked the pic you posted. See ya tomorrow!!! woo hoo!

2:04 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

wow you have a good memory-- If I were to speculate what I was doing a year ago I would say I was working at a crappy place. Wow, I'm right! working at crappy places really sucks up a lot of your life!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Fern said...

I have a haunting suspicion that your memory was miraculously aided by a little something called your calender? Angela....
By the way I love how you alway keep track of the stuff you're doing each day. That's a great habit to already have down pat for your mission. Can't wait to hang (loose that it)!
Fern

3:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just found your blog about Dogue de Bordeaux on the internet. I thought I would drop you a note just to say that I have a website and blog about Dogue de Bordeaux, so I know yours is great quality. Keep up the good work.

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home