Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Pre-mission Molting (photo updated version)

I don't think I've ever anticipated Ground Hog day quite like this before.

Sunday night I drove down to Chapel Hill, listening to the sounds of "backporch" music (bluegrass/folk) on the UNC radio and admiring the trees and enjoying the warm weather. Rachael called, after I had finished eating almost 1/2 a tray of mud-cookies by myself, and asked me to come over. Naturally, I grabbed my keys and left. It is always good to see her. She is definitely one of the few consistants in my life (afterall, we were in nursrey together). She and I can talk for hours, sometimes escalating to an un-earthly noise level, about everything. Rylee (who just turned one in December) has 4 little teeth and even when she's "grumpy", she's so cheerful! I would have to say (even without my bias) that she is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen.

Yesterday my mom decided that for FHE we would have a special "mission" dinner for me. This has always been a tradition-- and it was still successful with just the three of us. She typed a quiz on LA (history/demographics) and cooked exactly what I had asked for "the works" salad and apple crisp. The table was decorated and a banner that said "Congratulations Angela LA, here she comes!" Then we had a mini-lesson on the Temple, took pictures of me with my fake name-tag (I'll post them soon) and watched Beauty and the Beast at my request. I am surprised at how much fun I can have with a couple of old people!

This morning I woke up, read the newspaper, ate granola and went swimming. The rest of my days I either run or swim, do errands, paper work, make phone calls, work on projects and occasionaly spend time with the few people that I still know around here. On the agenda for later: sew a green and a brown jumper for the mish, hang out with Rach & Erin, write my talk (my farwell is Sunday! eek), finish errands, go to DC next week and then fly back to NC later the next week, organize photos, finish art-projects and lots of other unimportant things! The sun is shining, and I am going outside. . .

Getting a little practice con el Libro de Mormon. . . yes, the name tag is fake (I borrowed the idea from Cath)


At the dinner-- me, dad and mom


Checkin' out the map-- I know, it's another picture of me. Thank goodness I'm not an only child. I could be in danger of becoming a narcisist-- notice the sign behind me--haha! CLAM, as the mission is affectionately known, is one of the smallest in land area (but there are almost twice as many latinos in LA county as there are people in Idaho! Interesting fact, ay? And there are a whopping 10 million people in LA county-- * demographics cited from LA 2000 census)

6 Comments:

Blogger Fern said...

ang~
That missionary dinner thing sounds like a neat tradition. LOOK OUT L.A.! I really hope we can have some quality time before you enter the ol' MTC.
I was especially jealous when I read that you watched Beauty and the Beast. That's one of my all time fav films, behind Peter Pan of course. Don't worry I still miss you a TONNNNNNNNNNNN!
ferny pants

12:35 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

angela!!! i think its so amazing to be able to see what you are up to when i am in freaking NEW ZEALAND! wowser! yes i am here and its amazing!! but i jsut wanted to say hi and thanks for the quotes on my blog, i liked them, and also, your new years resolutiosn are pretty cool too! good luck with all of that and your busy month you've got coming up! i miss you! and i will try and shear a sheep for you here! haha love ya

1:35 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

I never thought I'd see the day! you really do look like an Hermana!

9:33 AM  
Blogger j:) said...

wow angela, those pics are a trip. I can't believe you're leaving so soon. You're going to be such an awesome missionary...and I'll probably be jealous. ah, some things will never change. Why is it that anything you do I want to try too? anyhoo nececito ir a mi classe de GIS. chao

10:13 AM  
Blogger William Cobb said...

your new pic looks great.
i see you have the blog links now - and you figured out how it works to put ryan's link up.

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This compliment is coming from the queen of Frumpy Mission Dresses, but it's sincere: you look great!!!

Sarah

P.S. I have some frumpy dresses you can borrow and even a frumpy straw hat (yes, I WORE a STRAW HAT) if you want to look like a truly retro hermana

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home