Thursday, December 30, 2004

On Belay?!

This morning my parents came in and woke us up at 7:15 to eat breakfast (we had left-over apple struddle. . . I thought that was funny) and packed to go to the mountain. I decided to bring my guitar along for a mid-day mountain jam session. So, each of us toted our Nalgenes and hopped in the Corsica.

It was definitely interesting to climb with the family. We set up three climbs (a 5.4, 5.7 and a 5.10 for all of you climbing gurus. . . for those of you not up to date on the climbing lingo -- that means amatueur, seasoned and fairly difficult) . We drove to the very top of the mountain, and then hiked down a ways to the west side of the moutain overlooking the valley of rolling hills and small farms. It was so beautiful! The climb began in the forest, but ended with a magnificent veiw. I considered myself luck to witness such a fantastic crescendo. We picked the perfect day (ironic, considering it was December 30th)-- 62 degrees and sunny. North Carolina has a gentle beauty-- today I sort of understood why I usually find it among the "top ten outdoor states".

Today was one of the first times rock-climbing where I didn't feel like a complete novice (although I couldn't get over this one over-hang . . . maybe if I had done it first, but I was totally worn out). . . anyhow, it was great. My mom, after tiring from my constant pleading to at least "give it a try", made her way up the rock a bit and then did a very nice pose so my dad could get a picture. We packed up as the sun was setting, and then hiked out. But, dad forgot his camera, so we made it back down the steap trail, retrieved it, and then hiked out agian. Plus, we got to hike to the lookout for another great view of the setting sun. On the way home we stopped at Wendy's and compared battle wounds with everyone.

I know this was pretty detailed, but I'm not quite tired enough for bed and not in the mood for movies, so blogging it is. I suppose in these next few weeks of only-childdom, you will be hearing a bit more from me. I am nervous that I will be bored to death-- but hopefully I can find things to do and make my way out a week before so that I can snowboard. I love reading everyone's updates, so DON'T STOP, and for those of you experiencing a blogging drought (uh-hem, Fern!), please grace us once again. I guess that's it. KRD-triple nine clear (did I hear a niner ?). . .over an' out.

Here's a photo of Pilot moutain (I know, I'm procrastinating going to bed).

5 Comments:

Blogger William Cobb said...

man that's totally awesome that you went on that trip with your family. lots of people i know including myself wish we could do family stuff like that. oh, and that's a kewl picture too. so did anybody get injured?

9:52 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

I like everything about your blog except the way you spell streudel! just kidding, you are very outdoorsy and I am having a hard time trying to compete.--although I went up to those hills where Kelly's is located and messed around on a snowboard/snow skate the other day.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

that mountain is one strange looking 'peak'...but it loos cool! i really do want to go to North Carolina because i always read about it in Adventure magazine and all that- but how bout i wait til after your mission and then you can show me around eh? that would be sweet! sounds like a fun day of climbing with the fam!! miss ya ang!

3:48 PM  
Blogger j:) said...

I like detailed blogs. You should procrastinate going to bed more often. 62 degrees eh? Not bad for december. It's warmed up a bit here to :) HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! when I was reading parts of your blog I could totaly picture what you were talking about. I'm really glad I got to stay at your house. miss ya!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

so- do you mean after running 26 miles take 26 days off?? wowser...i dont think i could do that. but yeah those stats are nice ang- thanks! really though, i didnt knwo any of that, but i will try to train carefully. OH- and dont worry, i eat lots of salmon and guacamole (for avacados)..but not with each other- you know, separately..hahah anyhoo HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! its 2005 now! YOSWER!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home