Wednesday, December 29, 2004

therr ain't no down time in Durham

I finally have a minute to post. We (me, linny, cath, mom and dad) just got back from running around Duke trail, eating at Cosmic Cantina and buying some new shoes at 9th St. Active Feet. We are going to see "Finding Neverland" at 4:20, and then tonight we are going to make apple struddle and have our annual winter-roast in the garden (ki's potato salad, grilled vegies & chicken and pickles). We wrote out a calander of all the things we wanted to do this week, so now our week is packed.

Yesterday was a lot of fun--We woke up, went swimming at the YMCA pool, Mom cut my hair-- a blunt straight trim and short bangs in front. I really like it (even though Cath insists I look more "girlie and very Seventeen-magazine"). I'll post a picture of it soon to see what the consensus is. Then we went thrift store shopping until 5pm Then Zak came and picked me up at about 5:30 or 6:00.I don't really think that I can express accurately and honestly my relationship with Zak. Last night he decided that he does not want to communicate with me any more (for our sanity), and so that was our "last night" to spend time together. Going on a mission has certainly offered closure in so many areas of my life. Zak has been my constant throughout high school and beyond, I never wondered when I would see him, or if I would see him--so saying "goodbye" was definitely bittersweet. We were planning on going to the UNC basketball game, but decided not to since we would be watching the game the whole time (and he doesn't want to connect basketball--to angela for the rest of his life), so we went to Pepper's Pizza (classic), and then talked for the rest of the night until 1:30.

On Dec 23, he and I and Erin and Jessi went to our high school reunion at George's Garage (Duke Campus area). I cannot believe all of the people that we saw! I don't think any of them had seen Zak since high school, and everyone was freaking out at seeing the four of us together. Almost everyone looked the same. . . but there were of course a few shockers. The token "reformed nerd", the pretty-girl turned ragged, and then the ever-present "unchangables" who look and act almost exactly the same (granted their speech was a little more slurred). We only stayed for about an hour, and then spent the next hour talking about everyone and laughing.

Well, tomorrow the fam is going rock-climbing at Pilot Mountain with a family from the ward. It should be pretty interesting (especially if we can convince my mom to go)! And then the next day Curtis! (cath's "FRIEND") arrives from Boston for the big new-year's Bash.

3 Comments:

Blogger j:) said...

wow angela. I feel like that was a lot to soak in. It sounds like you're having a blast with your family and packing your days full. Did you say you were going rock climbing? Isn't it cold? I can't wait to see the pic of your hair. I just talked to a lady who said back in the day her friend served in LA when you had to pay for your own mission. They served in such an expensive area that they could only afford to rent out someones garage and all they ate was popcorn and eggs because there were some members who would give them to them for free. Thank goodness for new rules huh? So you and zak have finally parted ways? Do you really think it will be final? Remember when he said he wanted to get to write you letters. Is he going to write you? ok, sorry for all the questions. Maybe I should just call you...this is a long comment. Miss ya!

8:57 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

Wow angela- no wonder you havent posted in a while! busy in durham!! well man i am so jealous at your family! they seem like a lot of funa nd very active- thats what i wish my family was like...i have to talk my nephew into biking with me when i run, because no one else will go (or is in shape to)...but anyway, sounds like fun. SO you and Zac done huh? we all know how you love goodbyes! haha well good luck with all of that though. ANd MAN! have fun climbing with the fam!! i guess thats all i got for today!! have fun and know that i think of you a lot! miss you!

1:39 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

That's a rough pill to swallow, but it's probably medicine, not poison. You'll find that a mission is like lifting your feet off the floor so someone can vacuum... your life is a clean slate when you get back.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home