Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Lost in Transition

I went on a date tonight. I think it was the first real date I have been on in a long time. Emmanuel (an affluant Argentine) greeted me with the traditional latino kiss on the cheek, followed by compliments, took me out to a fancy-shmancy Italian restaurant and then we walked through the park and ate Ben&Jerrys. We orded appetizers, I didn't split anything (not even the check) and just nibbled on things (like rich people who don't care if they "eat their money's worth" instead of the "last-chance-i'll-get-this-so-I-better-undo-my-top-button" college student) until we were full. I got a healthy helping of Argentine culture, a low-down on illegals and the inside scoop on Spanish-channel acting and Maimi business trips. Very interesting night, after all-- a different sort of adventure than I'm typically used to. I felt all my psuedo-feministic dating rituals die when he rejected my offer to help pay and said, "obviously you have never been out with a latino before." Obviously.

Now for Angela's athletic update: North Carolina has been unusually warm (a whoping 76 degrees yesterday!) and it was summertime-sweats yesterday post-workout. I was rockin' the big hills in my new kicks. Today I swam (I got new goggles and swim cap for Christmas) a mile and tomorrow I think I might bike to the trail and then run for a while again. Solo-style. . . not quite as motivating, but mentally rewarding.

Well, everyone is officially gone, and I am here alone with mom, dad and malibu for company. Luckily, I haven't gotten bored yet. This Lost Angela has a lot of work to do before heading off to Los Angeles. I have been trying to think of something to do to help with the Tsunami-relief effort (bizzake sale? lemonade stand?) and I feel sad about the state of the world and our priorities (I really do want to give something!!!), but was a little comforted upon hearing that MK and Ash (more commonly known as the Olsen-twins) donated a closet full of designer clothes to the homeless. I'm not exactly sure if "closet full" is measured in weight, volume or quantity-- but all I can say is at least someone is making a sacrifice. This is "All Things Considered"-- up next is a selection by Big Mountain bluegrass. . .

6 Comments:

Blogger Mary Grace said...

HEY!! well dang girl- 76 degrees!! wowser! haha thats pretty sweet! perfect workout weather- and i am proud of you for being so hardcore all the time- i still want to be like you- i think that will never change. some people you jsut CANT one-up...anyhoo cool date, sounds like fun (even though i dont like to date) but anyhoo i like your blog- keep it up til you go man! and good luck not being bored. i was going to call you today because i missed you, but then i decided it wasnt nice to call someone on your way to boarding if they might wish they were there. so i didnt. but i thought of you- so i hope that counts for SOMEthing...love ya!

12:29 AM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

Lost Angela! that's a good one. I don't know what to say. Who knows what to do in that time of your life? I just bummed with friends...I think. Enjoy movies and music and art because you'll miss it out there, I think. Speaking of movies, I'm just picking out my sundance movies so I can get ticks when they go on sale saturday... there are some cool ones. anyway, enjoy bumming and slummming while you can!

10:43 AM  
Blogger j:) said...

wow, you went on a traditional date! I don't know why, but it was really strange for me to read about that. Especially about him giving you the traditional kiss, paying, and you guys hanging out by yourself. So you never really mentioned if you had fun. Did you like it?
I can't believe how warm it is there. It's definitely winter here. Nice job with the hardcore workout. I haven't started my 'routine' yet this semester and I'm not really sure what all it will include. Say hi to the rents and malibu for me. keep in touch.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Fern said...

BIZZAKE SALE!! HAHA! I tried to through that in with my mom over break, it didn't really catch on. You know what did though? Fock- Y'know from "Meet the Fockers". Kerin and I loved throwing it in anywhere we could just to shock my parents. good times.
Anyway, speaking of wanting to do something...Remember when I wanted to join the red cross after 9/11 and my dad said "If you want to help your nation, get an education"? Good advice that doesn't really apply to your situation. But seriously, the Church humanitarian aid site has the specs and everything for making blankets, hygenine kits, ect. You could always bust a few out while you're home. Or volunteer locally. I figure, the less help people in my area need = more for other people and places. Eventually what goes around comes around, right? Sorry this is so long! I went by your apartment yesterday and Aubrey wasn't home. guess that's what I get for not calling. Sorry again. I miss you!!

12:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angela-

Sounds intense out in Carolina. Happy New Year and by the way you are hardcore....I want to be like you too.

Your Friend,

Tyler (aka Fern's husband)

8:14 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

hey ang- i know i already commmented on your blog but this is more of an email because i am too lazy to ACTUALLY email you. So- in answer to your comment on my blog, dont be scared- sven and i dont leave until sunday for new zealand. we fly out of san fran on sunday night around 7 cali time. And we will call you okay? mayeb today! maybe tomorrow when i have free cell phone minutes, if i can find my stupid charger...anyways my cell number is (402)630-1350
and i am usually with sven so if you can get ahold of me, you can get ahold of sven. anyways dont worry, i will keep on blogging and maybe even start emailing you personally! i like to email and you dont leave for a month so we can keep in touch, but we will be sure and call you in teh next one or two days!!

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home