Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Prime Time

I leave for DC the day after tomorrow (the same day as the inauguration-- we'll be fighting traffic on the belt-line with the 6 million there to cheer or sneer "W" . . . oh brother). BUT-- I am SOOO excited to stay with Sarah and James in DC until next Wednesday (mom and dad are coming until Sat, but I'm flying home). Things are really starting to pile up now. . . the check lists, the dirty laundry, the "last time for this!" and all of the goodbyes.

*NOTE: The remainder of this post is not the ramblings of a wannabe waif. My motivation in posting is to prompt attention to nutrition, long-term health and disease prevention, physical stamina and the balance of body and spirit. Cheers to my brother.

After reading Ryan's blog, I had a mini-revelation. I am 22-years-old. My metablolism is at its hightest, my body won't look like this for long and with age quickly approaching I better take advantage of the PRIME of my life. Imeadiately I felt inspired get educated on my BMI and personal caloric intake. Afterall, I will spend my entire life eating, exercising and trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, so now is as good a time as ever to smarten up. Like Ryan, I am surprised at how little the body needs. . . I kept thinking that during desert enlightenment (Spring Summit 04 shout out). Here we were, for three days hiking miles on biscuit root, a handful of peanuts and poopy-water. I was more fatigued than usual, but was surprised at how much energy I actually felt. Unfortunately eating is more of a hobby than a survial technique.

I clicked on the link and found that my BMI is healthy for my height and weight, but I'd rather be on the lower end of the allowed BMI, than in the middle. So, mom got out her nutrition books and I calculated my exact ideal body weight. I measured my wrist (if it's 6 1/2 inches for females you are considered "large boned"-- I never knew that was ligit and not some cop-out for big people)-- my wrist was in fact 6 1/2 inches. From there, I calculated that my exact ideal body weight is 4.85 pounds less than what I am at right now. By cutting 500 calories out of my diet (25% less), I can lose one pound per week (each pound of fat is a little over 3,000 calories). In one month I could be my ideal weight. I emphasize could, because with three MTC meals a day and only 30 minutes of exercise, I'll be visiting the alterations staff in less than a months time.

Ang's top 7 things past their PRIME:
7) after 6 years of use, my swimsuit has reached the "gravity phase" (lost its elasticity).
6) Powdered milk-- I've been through many milk phases, but I got over this one at about 5.
5) Cold weather-- everytime I think I love it, I feel it and remember I don't-- this mostly applies to states without the benifit of snow.
4) Letterman-- sorry Dave, but Conan is just funnier
3) the clean shave-- the lesson we should learn from Amish men-- grow beards!
2) Low Carb/ No Carb
1) this POST-- adios.

4 Comments:

Blogger Randy Row said...

that was quite the snappy post! Amen to the body needs nothing... I stopped eating and now I have to hold my swimming trunks on when I get out of the jacuzzi. Anorexia, no... it's just the lack of gluttony that feels that way.

9:36 AM  
Blogger j:) said...

I totally agree about the BMI and we're supposed to be at our prime thing. That's what I've been working on for the past semester-lowering my body fat to a healthy 'athletic' range. I know as we get older the body isn't going to be in as great of shape, but I figure I want to give myself as much of a head start as I can.
Have fun in DC. Say hey to Sarah and James for me and I'll see ya soon!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Carrie to you, too!

Kudos to Ryan for such an inspirational post, and to Angela for following-up.

As for me, I can't do any kind of dietary restriction because I have a newborn who relies on me for all his nutritional needs. However, I appreciate the thoughts on the importance of eating healthy foods and exercise. I suppose that if I really ate only healthy food and just what I needed, I would be able to shed the pregnancy weight a little quicker.

I'm excited to see you, Ang!@!!! I hope you make it up OK in all the snow. I-95 should still be well-traveled, so hopefully you wont' run into a lot of ice and snow.

Sarah

10:12 PM  
Blogger Brett Crockett said...

But the great thing about Conan and Letterman is that you can watch them both! Now Leno...he's gotta go.

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home