Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Riding on the Mason-Dixon line

This morning I woke up to a shaggy blond haired two-year-old with huge blue-green eyes smiling right in my face. I must say, it's not so bad to wake up when someone is that excited to see you! These past few days have been a nice contrast to my three weeks solitude in Durham. . . I was beginning to go mad (and posting obsessivly) especially with the confinment of a snow storm.

Yesterday, Sarah and I wokeup early and headed over to Arundel Hills mall in Maryland-- it was full of oulet stores and I got everything else that I needed for my mission. Now it feels good to know that I am DONE . . . and in exactly one week and four hours, I will be entering the MTC doors (finally). Then, we came home and made a huge salad for dinner and went swimming at the University of Maryland pool. I must have felt some Michael Phelps energy (he used to swim there, ahhhh). . .because I was cutting through the water like a regular pro! I could feel my shoulders widening (eek) as I swam and It felt great to let the miles melt away as I swam to the rhythm of my own counting. Sarah and I were the only two people in the olympic size swimming pool. It even played music under the water. There was an entire heated pool for lap swimming as well and in the enormous locker room, they had everything you'd need (including a spinner for wet suits-- it made them almost completely dry in five-seconds. . . I was in awe). . . difinitely the zenith of my year swimming. I am content now, boxing up my suit for the next year and a half.

On Sunday I was bummed b/c church was canceled because of the snow storm. We played Settlers of Catan (I won-- hoo rah), cooked and took a walk in the Greenbelt National Park in the snow (it was so pretty, but we got lost for a while). Saturday was Jacob's second birthday. Sarah and I had stayed up all night making a cake (as seen below). Kevin (my brown haired accountant brother and self proclaimed "dating machine") took the metro from Crystal City (inner DC) to College Park (northern DC, UMD campus). The party was sooo cute! Afterwards, I rode the metro with him back and we hung out in that area for a while. His apartment is barren, but the veiw of the city makes up for the lacking inside. I rode the metro back and met these guys who just got back from Park City snowboarding. Their flight to NYC had been cancelled, so they were taking a bus up instead. It was fun to talk to them. I walked back to Sarah's from the Metro (2.5 m) in the snow. It felt really good to revisit the "sweating inside but numb outside" feeling of cold weather exercise.

Friday I went to the temple with my mom, dad, Sarah and James. It took almost the entire day. That's all I will say about that.
Well, we're about to go to the new Native American museam next to the capital. . .

5 Comments:

Blogger Fern said...

Hey, when you said 2.5m I thought you meant 2.5 METERS of snow. Then I realized that would pretty much be impossible to "sweat inside" through that much snow. It was good to talk to you I MISS YOU! My day goes so much better when I get to talk to my friends. I can't wait for our big 'shopping spree' wink wink. Seems you don't really have EVERYTHING you'll need. :) Can't wait to see you!
Fern

3:09 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

ANGELA!!!! thanks for posting!! i miss you! but its great to hear about US life and you getting all ready for your mish! i wish i could hear all about the tmeple, thats so cool- thats one thing i really am excited for. i hope you liked it...anyhoo we are in invercargill! whew! its nice to be 'home' for 3 months! haha wish you were here! make sure and email me your address so i can write!!!
mary

6:43 PM  
Blogger William Cobb said...

so jo says you'll be up here this weekend. cool, hope to see ya before you go.
i may be cross country skiing this weekedn cuz i volunteered for the activities dept. the cool thing is that they will provide the skis. but i'll see ya on saturday or sunday. i'd like to know what you thought about the temple.
well, ttyl.

1:41 AM  
Blogger j:) said...

angla-I have to admit your pool story made me want to go swimming...real bad! The pool has been booked from 6:30am till 8pm this whole week. (swim team tryouts and intermurals). I'm totally out of minutes (and when I say out I mean 80 over) so I can't talk during the day :( Friday night food sounds great though. I can't wait to see you. I feel like I have tons to talk to you about. Don't ask me what because I don't know, but it's just been a while.

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog! I also have a site about snowmobile waterskipping video
. You can check it out at snowmobile waterskipping video
.

Also, as a special bonus, I want to tell you about a great site that is giving away a FREE Sony DVD Handycam. Just click the link below and enter your Zipcode to qualify.

FREE Sony DVD Handycam

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home