Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Into the belly of the earth. . .


I know this is small, but the little blue head
is Matt from our group swimming in the canyon

This is me on the last repel


When we came out of the canyon, this is the view
that greeted us

I have to tell everyone about Canyoneering this weekend in Zion National Park. It was SOOO awesome!! We did Pine Creek Canyon which has six repels and is FULL of water. We started out by running into the canyon after eating a sandwich, trial mix and dried apricots and zipping up our full body wetsuits-- which were absolutely essential seeing that the water was like 40 degrees! Brian (the guy I went with) was a park ranger in Zion over the summer, so he knew the park well. . . as a matter of fact, I felt like I was hiking with Steve Kugath. It was the most beautiful day-- it had been rainy and snowy in Provo, but by the time we got to Southern Utah it was bright blue skys and contrasting red rock, and about 75 degrees.

Every repel we did was into a pool of water. There was one part where we were swimming for quite a while through the dark in deep freezing water, with the towering slot canyon walls curving around us and a single ray of light pushing it's way down. The last repel was so interesting. I clipped in first and threw myself over the edge-- and then the whole canyon just opened up. I litterally felt like I was heading down the esophogus and into the belly of the earth (not to mention the pool I was repeling into had a mixture of who knows what that easily conjured up some mental imagery of bile and gastric juices).

We lost a belay device, but found a dead ringtailed squirrel, Brian got stung by a dead scorpian in the water and after a few hours, we were hiking our way back out to the car through the trees, red rock and desert wild flowers. Every minute was supremely superb.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this post...Mostly for selfish reasons. I get a little sad reading all these 'updates' about when you and Jo are getting together. :( I miss you guys! So...It's nice to read about a running story and canyoneering trip.

10:01 AM  
Blogger j:) said...

wow, that description of the belly of the earth and all that digestive stuff was great. Man I wish I could have made it down there in time to go.

11:26 AM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

Man everyone I know has done that hike!

5:44 PM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

i hear pine creek is pretty sweet. we will have to go and you can show the way next time eh?? thanks for the story, i have been wondering about it.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zions Park is the most beautiful spot of heaven on Earth, even the underbelly =) Glad you got to spash in heaven's juices. Hope you took some good pics. BTW, ang, I have one of your ss cd's with pics. I'll bring it to Kev's wedding in Dec (or mail it if you want it sooner)

Love the blog and keep posting!

Sarah

10:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Ang. You should write for adventure magazines...even if I didn't like being out in the earth, I would want to after reading your post. It also made my stomach growl. Man, you've got skills. I wish I were there to play with you!!!!
-Cath

11:42 PM  
Blogger j:) said...

Just had to comment again...those pictures are awesome. I especially like the one where you guys are all in the wetsuits. You look like some kind of secret mission group.

4:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so brave swimming in "who knows what"! You didn't mention that Brian got stung by a scorpion, that must have hurt! Thanks for posting the pictures as well- it made your description come even more to life.
Cherise

7:19 PM  
Blogger William Cobb said...

hi angel a. see u this weekend.

11:23 PM  
Blogger M.climb said...

You sure have a fancy blog. I am very impressed. I wish that i was computer savy. Once again sorry about the slight mis communicado. I really was doing homework and didn't expect to be heading to alpine.

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home