Monday, October 02, 2006

"His hand is outstretched still"

Yesterday I had the most wonderful feeling. As I was watching the last session of conference, I was overwhelmed with a wonderful feeling as I listened to Elder Holland testify. The pure truth of what he said about the apostles giving their life, the tired yet sincere look in his eye, the urgency of his voice ignited a fire that I felt needing kindling!! Then as we all began to sing "We thank thee O' God for a Prophet". . . they panned the Conference Center and everyone began standing up. The prophet himself said that his life was not his own, but all of ours. As I sang, I knew because I could feel it entirely that he IS THE prophet of God. For a few moments, I felt like the world was uniting. I could see in my minds eye faithful members in white shirts and ties in Nigeria, in Chile, in Mexico, in Europe, in Russia and those I taught in LA, all singing "we thank the oh God!" I could feel that our Heavenly Father was pleased with us. Brian told me that on his mission to fiji, the missionaries got up to go to conference at 3am and walked to the chapel, expecting to find it empty. They arrived to a full chapel. Entire families and children were dressed up and waiting reverently for conference to begin at 3am on the other side of the world. That is indeed what president Hinkley talked about, Faith In Action.

While I was waiting in line to enter conference, I ran into Rick (my BYU-I boyfriend. . . remember??) I don't know how to describe it other than to say it pleased me to see him. He was married and his wife was pregant. He had moved to South Dakota and joined the US Airforce. He was active in the church. It was actually a witness to me that Heavenly Father loves all his children-- and he doesn't give up on them. Rick seemed like a "deadbeat" as Grandma Collette always said, and eventhough I'm SOO happy that it wasn't ME with the belly and ring, it was nice to know that in the end (or the middle) everything works out. He never gives up on us.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Remember???"
To that I say, "REMEMBER!!!!??? Of course,." Crazy. It's always so sureal running into people that you knew one way and then seeing them in differnt/new way/context. Crazy. I can't believe Rick is in the Air Force. Weird. I wish I could've talked yesterday, but you see I turned off my phone in the morning so my alarm wouldn't wake-up Tyler and forgot about it all day! I didn't realize it til I went to bed. I was even disappointed that I no one had called me all day. Silly. Apparently my family had been going crazy trying to get a hold of me.
new topic: That's actually the #1 thing I love about conference. All the people, all over the world, doing the same thing. The right thing.

11:30 AM  
Blogger tolman said...

I don’t know if you know Angela but Elder Holland is my favored authority to listen to , and I to loved his talk he talks with such passion and love and you can hear it , I to felt the same way as we sang at the end isn’t missions , the church , the restored gospel all so wonderful , I love being a disciple of Christ

11:39 AM  
Blogger Mary Grace said...

hooray angela, another great post. this is why i read your blog. love you.

2:07 PM  
Blogger j:) said...

Angela, Don't feel bad about the shoes! There was some emotional connectin there, but not as much as Kona. She's like my kid. And sorry to report that that fish was caught electroshocking. That's when we shock the water and all the fish get stunned and float to the top. Then we net them to do surveys and put them back in. It's the easiest way to get the most fish in the shortest time and hurting them the least. It's actually a brown trout and the other guy said it was one of the biggest he'd seen in those waters so we had to take a picture. Anyways I'd better save my posts for my blog...not your comment section.

9:55 AM  
Blogger William Cobb said...

guess what, my friend Prince from Africa got to be a translator at conference. he said while he was speaking his mom sent a text from africa saying she could tell it was his voice. cool huh?

btw, ever since thursday and then during conference and then today at devotional i have really felt 'awakened.'

11:07 PM  
Blogger Randy Row said...

that's awesome about rick. He was always a cool guy.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It truly is a marvelous work and a wonder...and to think that people were listening to our prophet at 3am in Nigeria! The church is true!
-Cath

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home